[Python-Dev] Misc/maintainers.rst

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 27 09:08:39 CEST 2009

> One thing I'd like to see in the list are real names of committers,
> not tracker names.  Of course, people looking for people to assign a bug
> to should not have to search for the tracker name, so I'd like to make
> another request (that Brett already made when we switched trackers):
>
>   Could we *please* have tracker names that match the committer names?

I'm opposed. I never type my committer name - I don't even know what it
is (martin.v.loewis, martin.vonloewis, martin.von.loewis, something
else?). In the tracker, I have to type my account name, so I need to
remember. I have been using "loewis" as my account name in the net for
nearly two decades now, so I have little interest in starting to have
different account names, now.

> (This doesn't even need to be done by the individual users, I would
> volunteer to rename all committer accounts and notify them by email that
> their name changed.  This will also be coordinated with the new names
> used for Mercurial commits, if a change will be made.)

IIUC, there will be relatively little control over Mercurial committer
names. Every user will have to configure ~/.hgrc, which should list a
single name/email address pair, to be used for all Mercurial
repositories. So I put "Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de>" into
.hgrc, which is my name and my email address. It's not the same as the
tracker name or the subversion committer name; it can't possibly be
(since it comes from an entirely different namespace).

Regards,
Martin