[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Sep 27 19:22:41 CEST 2009

Peter Moody <peter <at> hda3.com> writes:

> The reason (aside from the name) that I'm not going to include this in
> ipaddr is that it would require the user to deal with two objects when
> one would suffice.

You make it sound like it's a burden, but "dealing" with two objects is not
something extraordinary or bizarre, it happens all the time when you do network
programming: e.g. ('127.0.0.1', 80).

(or would you argue that Address objects should have an optional distinguishing
port number, for "convenience" reasons?)

If you need the two objects, whether you access them through separate variables
(`network` and `host`) or through attribute access (`network` and
`network.host`) doesn't really matter. You can even pretend the tuple is an
atomic object and store it as-is if you want. I'm not sure what annoys you here.

> It's similar to getting two return values from
> float().

I don't see how it's similar, since a float is a clearly defined atomic entity.
Most float operations become meaningless if you consider the integral and the
fractional part separately.

Regards

Antoine.