[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review, and the inclusion process

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Sep 28 00:32:35 CEST 2009

Peter Moody <peter <at> hda3.com> writes:

> this is "less useful (strictly removing functionality)" and is an
> example of what I explicitly said I was not going to do with ipaddr.

(please note the conditional wording here) Assuming that a significant number of
people agree that there is a design problem, if you don't want to make the
necessary changes, then I don't see a reason why ipaddr would enter the stdlib.
The functionality (IP address handling) hasn't really seen a huge demand.

On stdlib-sig recently, a number of people complained that our criteria for
including existing libraries in the stdlib should be higher (they complained
about the quality of some existing modules, including optparse, which by the way
prompted the current proposal to get argparse in the stdlib). I think this PEP
is a good moment to judge and decide how demanding or tolerant we (and
especially the complainers ;-)) want to be.

Regards

Antoine.