[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:46:03 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/27 Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com>:
>> The first release where any real deprecation message would show up is
>> Python 3.4, more than 3 years away. If you think 3 years isn't long
>> enough for people to be over the Python 3 transition, let's stick in
>> another version in there and make it 4.5 years.
>
> So, why even bother deprecating it if nobody is going to see the warnings?

I feel like I'm repeating the PEP, but here it is again anyway. There
will be messages in the docs and pending deprecation warnings (which
don't show up by default but can be requested) starting in Python 2.7
and 3.2. Regular deprecation warnings wouldn't show up until Python
3.4, 3 years away. This compromise was intended exactly to address the
issue you brought up about people getting over the Python 3
transition.

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?