[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:28:39 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Jon Ribbens
<jon+python-dev at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 09:38:20AM +0100, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:59:45AM +0300, Yuvgoog Greenle wrote:
>> > -1 for deprecating getopt. getopt is super-simple and especially useful for
>> > c programmers learning python.
>> >
>> > +1 for argparse.+1 for eventual deprecation of optparse - optparse and
>> > argparse have a very similar syntax and having both is just
>> > confusing. tsboapooowtdi
>>
>> +1 on all of this :-)
>>
>> It would be a shame to see getopt go but optparse -> argparse seems
>> logical.
>
> +1 from me too - keep getopt, deprecate optparse.

Ok, sounds like there are a number of supporters for keeping getopt
around and just deprecating optparse. For those who'd like to keep
getopt around, I have a few questions:

* Would you be opposed to a note in the getopt documentation
suggesting argparse as an alternative?

* Would you like argparse to grow an add_getopt_arguments method (as
in my other post)?

* If argparse grew an add_getopt_arguments, would you still want to
keep getopt around? And if so, why?

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?