[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Mac universal builds seem broken on trunk

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 12:42:13 CEST 2009

On 26 Sep, 2009, at 14:46, Barry Scott wrote:

> I'm working with http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk on Mac
> OS X 10.6.1
> using Apples xcode gcc 4.2.1.
>
> When I run the following commands:
>
> 	./configure --enable-framework --with-universal-archs=32-bit | tee
> build.config.log
> 	make clean all | tee build.make.log
>
> I end up with a x86_64 Python image.
>
> No matter what I use for archs its always the same.
>
> I would expect to see -arch arg to GCC but it is not there.
>
> 	export CFLAG="-arch i386"
>
> did not work either.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this broken on trunk?

Use:

     ./configure --enable-framework --enable-universalsdk=/

The --with-universal-archs flag selects whichs architectures should be
included when you build a universal binary, defaulting to 32-bit.

I'll write some documentation on the build options on OSX,  but don't
know what's the best location to do so.

I guess I should also add logic to configure that bails out when you
specifiy --with-universal-archs without asking for a universal build.

Ronald