[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Sep 30 00:51:11 CEST 2009

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> I have never completely wrapped my brain around optparse.  Getopt I
> just remember.

Seems to me that optparse and argparse are fairly similar
in their APIs, and that argparse isn't going to be significantly
easier to fit in one's brain than optparse.

There's an art to coming up with an API that makes simple
things easy and other things possible. I'm not convinced that
argparse represents a subsantial enough advancement in
that art to justify replacing optparse with it in the stdlib,
and thereby forcing everyone to learn a similar-but-different
API.

--
Greg