[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 00:51:23 CEST 2009

2009/9/29 Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com>:
> If you're not using argparse to write command line applications, then
> I don't feel bad if you have to do a tiny bit of extra work to take
> care of that use case. In this particular situation, all you have to
> do is subclass ArgumentParser and override exit() to do whatever you
> think it should do.
[...]
> There is only a single method in argparse that prints things,
> _print_message(). So if you want it to do something else, you can
> simply override it in a subclass. I can make that method public if
> this is a common use case.

Thanks, that's fine for me (as things stand, no need to publicly
expose and document _print_message).

BTW, the helpful and responsive way you reply to queries is much appreciated.

I'm +1 on the PEP (although I see why people want getopt to stay, so
I'm happy to leave that and only deprecate optparse).

Paul.