[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 02:05:17 CEST 2009

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Nick> +1 here as well (although we should definitely find a way to use
>     Nick> str.format strings instead of %-format ones... come to think of
>     Nick> it, does even the logging module support str.format style
>     Nick> formatting in Py3k?)
>
> Assuming argparse currently works with versions of Python < 2.6 I see no
> reason to make such a change.  This would just introduce needless
> differences between the version delivered with Python and the PyPI version
> and make it more difficult for the author to keep the two code bases in
> sync.

Sorry, my phrasing was poor - I should have said "as well as" rather
than "instead of". For both existing argparse users and to ease
conversion from optparse to argparse, %-formatting support obviously
needs to remain.

We already have a problem with existing APIs not supporting the new
string formatting - let's not make it worse by adding *new* APIs that
only support the *old* formatting technique.

Cheers,
Nick.