[Python-Dev] transitioning from % to {} formatting

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 30 18:50:25 CEST 2009

> Although I hate the name 'dicttemplate', this seems like the best
> solution to me.  Maybe it's good that 'dicttemplate' is so ugly though
> so that people will naturally prefer 'format' :).  But I like this
> because there's not really any magic, it's explicit, and the decision is
> made by the coder at the call site.  The implementation does not need to
> guess at all.

Unfortunately, as Steven pointed out, the parameter is *already*
documented with the name "fmt". So one option would be to call it
"fmt" and "format"; the other option would be to not only deprecate
the positional passing, but also the passing under the name fmt=.

As for calling it "dicttemplate" - I'm sure people can and will propose
alternative spellings :-)

Regards,
Martin