[Python-Dev] stdlib socket usage and "keepalive"

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Apr 13 10:43:58 CEST 2010

Jesus Cea wrote:

> About controversial... keepalive are usually sent only when the
> connection is 100% idle for a while, when "while" can be >15 minutes, so
> the load should be "none" for regular connections.

I guess the concern would be that the keepalive probe itself
is subject to uncertain delays, so how long do you wait for
a reply before deciding that the connection is dead? If you
don't wait long enough, you could end up killing a connection
that would have come back if you had waited longer.

--
Greg