[Python-Dev] OS information, tags

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Apr 13 18:58:27 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:21:07 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> >  > While there is some Windows and Mac specific code, treating them as
> >  > separate components seems fairly unintuitive.
> >
> > Not always unintuitive.  There are some features only available on a
> > particular platform, then "component" sort of makes sense.  OTOH,
> > there are some bugs that are only available on a particular platform
> > even though the code is generic.  There "component" isn't very
> > intuitive.  In theory, I could see having both the component and the
> > platform fields, but probably that would require too much user
> > education to be worth it.
>
> Yep, that's where the "fairly" qualification came from. It particularly
> made sense when we had all those Mac OS 9 specific modules kicking around.
>
> This isn't something I feel strongly about - just pointing out to the
> triage guys that requesting a change *is* an option if they think it
> would help.

It's not really a question of what Triage needs, but what the committers
as a whole would find most useful.  As I said in another note, I think
having a separate OS selection would cause just as many triage issues
as the current setup does.  So the question is, what would developers
and bug searchers/submitters find useful?

That said, it's easier to add components and keywords than it is to
add a new selection box.  I know how to do the former but not (yet)
the latter.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com