[Python-Dev] Status of 2.7b1?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 21:43:38 CEST 2010

Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com> writes:

> The tests are run on a native Win32 build as compiled by VS2008. The
> functionality is Win32 specific and wouldn't work on Cygwin, so the tests
> are skipped there. I believe Cygwin is used for kicking off the tests and
> other buildbot stuff, but they don't actually run through Cygwin.

Yes, that's correct.  Cygwin is on my buildbot just for management
convenience.  The build slave happens to be started from a Cygwin bash
shell (and beneath a Cygwin-based home directory, which is why you see
it in various path references in logs), but the buildbot code itself
is responsible for executing the python process directly for testing.
And python itself is built normally with VS 2008 as a pure win32
build, no Cygwin dependency.

I did also verify over the weekend that the failures occur whether the
python_d process is started from a Cygwin bash shell or from the
normal Windows cmd process, and even if test_os is used directly,
without running through rt.bat.  The case that ran successfully was
not via test_os, but only by interactively replicating the test.

I'm back at this point, and to the extent my buildbot is the only
place currently replicating the problem, am working with Brian for
whatever access or resources might be helpful.

-- David