[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Apr 14 15:39:36 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:33:03AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Martin v. L?wis wrote:
> > Tres Seaver wrote:
> >> Maybe the PSF should make it a priority by funding acquisition of the
> >> appropriate proprietary hardware (Mac / Windows) for the release
> >> manager.  Otherwise the avaialbility of binaries is going to lag source
> >> releases forever.
> >
> > Tres,
> >
> > can you be more explicit? How would such hardware help (whom specifically)?
>
> I assumed that creation of installer binaries for a release depends on
> having the release manager or a lieutenant have access to the given
> platform (Windows, OS/X) and tools,  For instance, the RM or lieutenant
> might only have access to such a platform part-time (e.g., only while at
> work, or only at home).  In such a case, providing additional hardware
> could expedite creation of the binaries.

As with Windows, I personally find that building Python with all the associated
libraries is blocked on getting the right libraries installed, not on
getting the compilers (which are available to us for free) ... but I'm sure
that easy access to hardware is an issue, too.

I can provide command-line access to a Mac OS X machine but I'm not sure that's
enough.  Let me know if anyone wants that.

Separately, I'd be happy to put forward a proposal to the PSF to fund RMs and
their lieutenants with a Mac or a PC, whichever they needed to keep things
moving.  It's the least "we" can do, IMO, and hardware is just not that
expensive compared to the dedication of the volunteers.  If Georg, Benjamin,
Martin, or Ronald are interested, please just tell me (or Steve, or the PSF
board, or ...) what you want and I'll work on getting it funded.

--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu