[Python-Dev] Automatic installer builds (was Re: Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X))

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Apr 14 20:54:22 CEST 2010

    Bill> In any case, they shouldn't be needed on buildbots maintained by
    Bill> the PSF.

Sure.  My question was related to humans building binary distributions
though.  Unless that becomes fully automated so the release manager can just
push a button and have it built on and as-yet-nonexistent Mac OSX buildbot
machine, somebody will have to generate that installer.  Ronald says Fink,
MacPorts and /usr/local are poison.  If that's truly the case that's fine.
It's just that it reduces the size of the potential binary installer build
machines.

Now that I think about it, it might not be sufficient to just hide those
directories from the environment.  The Python setup.py file has
unconditional hard-coded references to /sw, /opt/local and /usr/local.  That
would probably have to change before you could use an "infected" machine to
build the binary installer.  (At the very least, searching /sw/include (for
instance) could be suppressed if /sw/bin was not found in PATH.  Similarly
for /opt/local and /usr/local.)

(ISTM the same might be true should people ever decide to once again build a
Solaris installer.  /opt/sfw is currently searched for Berkeley DB include
files.)

Skip