[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Wed Apr 14 22:04:58 CEST 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:37 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I'm not sure whether 10.5 would be sufficient - it may be that you need to go back to 10.4 (*).

I think you just need to supply to configure

	MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

and have the appropriate SDK installed with Xcode.

I believe it is installed by default with Xcode on Leopard (10.5), but with Xcode on Snow Leopard (10.6) the 10.4 SDK is an optional install.

> Unfortunately, Apple manages to break compatibility and portability with every release, which makes this particular build task soooo tricky. You have to make all kinds of decisions and compromises where are really difficult to keep track of.

Hmm.  Apple provided compatibility SDK and documented it.

The only compromise I see in this build process right now is that we are building a Panther (10.3) compatible installer, while Mac OS X is a certified UNIX starting with 10.5.  So, we are deliberately using obsolete model to provide backward compatibility.

However, I'm fine with that for the installer.

Power users can compile their own build optimized for their platform.

Regards,

	Zvezdan