[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 00:11:17 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> The same is true for any other operating system, though: you need to
> install the compiler tool chain (sometimes, you need to buy it first),
> and compiling Python with all extensions is not a trivial task.

Even on Linux, it takes a bit of fiddling. I finally remembered to write
the steps down for Kubuntu when I set up my current machine (you need to
apt-get half a dozen or so additional dev packages):
http://boredomandlaziness.blogspot.com/2010/01/kubuntu-dev-packages-to-build-python.html

Take away the convenience of apt-get and add installing the compiler and
installer toolchains and you've got a fair amount of setup time on your
hands (and lots of things that can go wrong).

Cheers,
Nick.