[Python-Dev] PEP 3147 ready for pronouncement and merging

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 00:33:29 CEST 2010

Brett Cannon wrote:
> And just a quick suggestion: can we standardize what
> imp.source_to_path() and friend are supposed to return if the
> interpreter doesn't support bytecode? I will probably have to rely on
> that for something so it would be best to say now whether it should be
> None or raise an exception so there is no divergence on this between VMs.

Returning None sounds like the most straightforward option. "__cached__
= None" will just mean "for whatever reason, we have no cached filename
for this file". It may be the cached file doesn't exist, or the
interpreter simply wasn't in a position to figure it out in a user
visible way.

Cheers,
Nick.