[Python-Dev] PEP 3147 ready for pronouncement and merging

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 16 20:09:37 CEST 2010

>> pyc files inside of the `__pycache__` directories contain a magic
>> identifier in their file names.  These are mnemonic tags for the
>> actual magic numbers used by the importer.  For example, in Python
>> 3.2, we could use the hexlified [10]_ magic number as a unique
>
> (Aside: when you search Wikipedia for "hexlify" it says "did you mean:
> heavily?" :-)

I regard 'hexlify', as used in binascii, to be a misspelling of
'hexify', whether it originated with Python or elsewhere. 'Hexify'
itself may not be an official dictionary word but it at least follows a
normal pattern of derivation. I have not bothered to say anything before
because correcting the misspelling of the module function would break
back compatibility. But I think its usage should stop there.

Terry Jan Reedy