[Python-Dev] Python 2.7b1 and argparse's version action

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Apr 19 20:24:59 CEST 2010

I'm with Martin; just let it be explicit and stick an example in the docs.

-Brett (from his phone with hopefully only one copy sent of this email)

On Apr 18, 2010 9:22 PM, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> - many optparse programs use the version argument
> - many other programmers find this feature ver...
You actually brought up a good reason yourself:

In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
If you ask "give me a version argument", the question is "how is it
spelled?". IIUC, you originally complained that the spelling of argparse
(i.e. -v/--version) is not good, and that a different spelling should be
used. So it's ambiguous, in which case the feature shouldn't be provided
in the first place.

Regards,
Martin