[Python-Dev] Binary Compatibility Issue with Python v2.6.5 and v3.1.2

Wolfgang Langner tds333+pydev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:31:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 20.04.2010 14:19, Phil Thompson wrote:
> When I build my C++ extension on Windows (specifically PyQt with MinGW)
> against Python v2.6.5 it fails to run under v2.6.4. The same problem exists
> when building against v3.1.2 and running under v3.1.1.
>
> The error message is...
>
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
>
> ...though I don't know what the procedure is.
>
> When built against v2.6.4 it runs fine under all v2.6.x. When built under
> v3.1.1 it runs fine under all v3.1.x.
>
> I had always assumed that an extension built with vX.Y.Z would always run
> under vX.Y.Z-1.
>
> Am I wrong in that assumption, or is this a bug in the latest versions?

It is also possible, that this is a windows issue with Manifest and DLL

If Version 2.6.4 is build against another version of the msvcrt as version
2.6.5 than this could happen.

Possible solution is to not automatically build the manifest and use one with
hard coded versions across one Python version 2.6.X.

Regards Wolfgang