[Python-Dev] Planning a Windows buildbot

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 20 22:39:11 CEST 2010

Tim Golden wrote:
> I've got agreement in principle for one of our decommissioned
> servers to be repurposed as a Python buildbot. My idea would
> be to set it up as a Windows 2003 R2 server, at least partly
> because we don't seem to have any Windows server buildbots
> and it's a platform I'm especially interested in.
>
> Does anyone suggest that a different configuration would be
> preferable? Thanks to the PSF MSDN license I can pretty much
> choose whatever I want. I believe Brian Curtin's looking at
> the possibility of a Win2k8 box which is one reason why I
> steered away from that. Also because my box -- whenever they
> hand it over -- will be relatively old.

If you are truly adventurous (sp?), you could try to setup a Cygwin or
MingW target - I don't think we have one of these yet. However, doing so
may be pointless as it may be doomed to fail, anyway, in which case
there is no point in continuously verifying that failure.

If you are a little adventurous, set up VS 2010. We don't have any build
slaves for that, either, plus one would have to define a way how the
slaves convert the project files (which could either happen manually in
SVN, as originally done for VS 2008, or automatically through VS, or
automatically through something like PCbuild/vs9to8.py).

As for the operating system: I don't think it matters at all. Windows XP
Home is as fine a platform for this application as Windows 2008 R2
Enterprise. What would matter is processor architecture - we don't have
an Itanium Windows buildbot slave :-)

Regards,
Martin