[Python-Dev] PyTuple_Parse*() and discontigious buffer

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Thu Apr 22 13:39:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I opened issue #8215 about PyTuple_Parse*() outdated documentation. When I
read the code, I found two functions: getbuffer() and convertbuffer().
getbuffer() checks that the buffer is contigious, whereas convertbuffer()
doesn't. We can group formats by contigious check:

 - contigious buffer: s, y*, z*, w*
 - discontigious buffer: s#, y, z, t, w, w#

I tried to test formats accepting discontigious buffer but I didn't found any
function or library to test this.

I'm not sure that functions using s#, y, z, t, w, w# format do really support
discontigious buffer and it's just a bug in getargs.c.

Do someone have information about that? Should it be fixed (only accept
contigious buffer)?

--
Victor Stinner
http://www.haypocalc.com/