[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for dangerjim to do triage.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 26 22:48:38 CEST 2010

On 4/26/2010 3:22 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> That depends on what you call unglamourous work. No, I don't triage
> bugs. I don't have commit privileges, so I can't.

Tracker 'privileges' (responsibilities, really) are different from
commit privileses.

 > Does hand-holding
> newbies who don't know the difference between a list and a dict count
> as unglamourous work?

Whether on python-list or tracker issues (which possibly should not have
been opened), yes.

 > I'm not looking for a medal, I'm just trying to
> give back whatever little I'm able.

I would not want you to drop hand-holding to do tracker admin.

> I don't understand is why there is so much resistance to the idea of
> accepting a personal recommendation from somebody who is trusted with
> commit privileges, even in principle.

Python tracker admins represent the core community to the larger Python
world. There are two skills needed for such a responsibility. One is the
ability to categorize in accord with vague norms. The other is social
sensitivity in responding to strangers, especially tracker newbies.
These are quite orthogonal to the ability to code or be someone's good
buddy. Since one can do hard-to-repair damage, I think minimal evidence
of these two needed skills is appropriate.

> Dangerjim doesn't know Python, he can't contribute by writing patches,
> but he could make a valuable contribution by reviewing them.

Which he can do now, without tracker admin privileges. If successful,
that would be more helpful than busywork admin. Actually, I can imagine
a C coder writing certain C patches, given a decent spec, without really
knowing Python.

Terry Jan Reedy