[Python-Dev] what to do if you don't want your module in Debian

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:56:06 CEST 2010

On 4/26/10 4:46 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2010, at 09:39 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>> You should be permissive on that one. Until we know how to describe resource
>> files properly, __file__ is what developer use when they need their projects
>> to be portable..
>
> Until then, isn't pkg_resources the best practice for this?  (I'm pretty sure
> we've talked about this before.)

I don't think the OP is really speaking against using __file__ per se, but
rather putting data into the package however it is accessed. The Linux-packager
preferred practice is to install into the appropriate /usr/shared/ subdirectory.
Writing portable libraries (with portable setup.py files!) is difficult to do
that way, though.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."