[Python-Dev] what to do if you don't want your module in Debian

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 01:52:50 CEST 2010

On 27/04/2010 00:26, James Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM, David Malcolm<dmalcolm at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 21:19 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>>
>>> Many Python module developers do not want their work to be distributed
>>> by Debian (and probably by other Linux distributions), here's a list of
>>>
>> Thanks!   Not just Debian: I can confirm, from bitter experience, that
>> your list is also highly applicable to Fedora and RHEL...
>>
> Honestly, it's enough to publish your python application/library/module to pypi
> (at least this is true for my work). Re-packing some xyz Linux distribution's
> package mangement system just seems useless and a waste of time (with
> exceptions ofc).

The point of the discussion has been how you can structure your package
so that Linux distribution maintainers can repackage it *for you* whilst
still remaining portable to other platforms. Even if you never intend to
repackage your project yourself following these "best practises" seems
like a good idea. (Unless you *really* don't want them packaged for
debian - in which case you now have a handy guide telling you how you
can ensure this.)

All the best,

Michael