[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for dangerjim to do triage.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 27 03:15:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 05:37:31 am Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve <at> pearwood.info> writes:
> > That depends on what you call unglamourous work. No, I don't triage
> > bugs. I don't have commit privileges, so I can't.
>
> Is this the sole reason? You could try to review patches which are
> proposed, or give advice where you are competent.

No, of course not. There are always other reasons, the biggest is too
many things to do and not enough time to do it. If I did review
patches, would they be accepted on the strength on my untrusted
reviews?

But this isn't about my reasons for not being more active on the bug
tracker. This is about how we decided whether or not to give tracker
rights to a volunteer. I think that being vouched for by a trusted
member of good standing who offers to act as mentor should be
sufficient grounds for giving tracker rights to the volunteer.
Apparently some disagree. How do we resolve this, since we're obviously
not persuading each other. Put it to a vote? Ask the BDFL?

> By the way, it isn't about commit privileges, but tracker rights. I
> don't think we would consider giving commit rights to someone who
> hasn't ever participated in the community, and apparently isn't a
> Python user.

Correction noted, thank you.

--
Steven D'Aprano