[Python-Dev] merit

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 27 05:23:37 CEST 2010

Lennart Regebro writes:
 > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 20:30, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

 > > In an open source community, "merit" relates to that community.
 > > We don't give Linus Torvalds all rights on the project just
 > > because we know (or assume ;-)) he is tremendously competent.
 >
 > Well, that's a blow against the merit-based position then. :)

Not at all.  Merit is determined not by "absolute" competence, but by
fitness for the range of tasks to be performed.

I don't really understand how someone who is not familiar with Python
internals or with the Python community can be expected to have any
*immediate* merit beyond "fast learner".  Until a newcomer does that
learning, what's the hurry in granting privileges?

Note that this discussion has brought up a number of fine points about
tracker work (cf Terry Reedy's posts) that Sean may not have been
aware of.  Had tracker privilege been granted without discussion, he
still would not know about them!  *Nor would I.*  The discussion has
had educational benefits beyond the newcomer.  This is RDM's thesis
about "growing the community" in action.