[Python-Dev] please take a look at buildbot result [was: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)]

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Apr 30 02:27:44 CEST 2010

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> R. David Murray <rdmurray <at> bitdance.com> writes:
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:28:47 -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > > 8 skips unexpected on darwin:
> > >     test_aepack test_applesingle test_gdb test_macos test_macostools
> > >     test_readline test_scriptpackages test_ttk_guionly
> > >
> > > Why is the skip of "test_readline" unexpected on darwin?  The readline
> > > on Darwin isn't what Python wants.
> >
> > I think someone fixed readline to work with Darwin's readline, at
> > least in theory.
>
> The machine is likely lacking the readline development headers.
> In any case, please don't focus on the skipped tests. What's important is the
> failed tests.
> Bill, Michael, it would be nice if you could investigate a bit more on these
> failures.

Well, test_grp test is failing because it assumes that group IDs are
unique, which is not guaranteed by getgrent().  And apparently not true
at PARC.

test_posix fails on some group-related thing, too: the use of
initgroups(), which is supposed to fail, succeeds.

test_pwd fails because the fake uid chosen for one test is a real UID
for a PARC user.

So these are really problems with the test being based on an
insufficiently general model of the real world.

Bill