[Python-Dev] No response to posts

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 09:41:56 CEST 2010

On 01/08/2010 02:00, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 19:48, Mark Lawrence<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been wading through outstanding issues today and have noticed that
>> there are several where there has been no response at all to the initial
>> post.  Failing that, the only response has been Terry Reedy back in May
>> 2010, and that only updating the versions affected.
>>
>> Would it be possible to get some code in place whereby if there is no
>> response to the initial post, this could be flagged up after (say) 24 hours?
>>   Surely any response back to the OP is better than a complete wall of
>> silence?
>>
>> Kindest regards.
>>
>> Mark Lawrence.
>>

> We could just add globally visible query which shows all issues with a
> message count of 1. That query currently shows 372 issues, most of which
> were entered within the last few months.

The query strikes me as KISS, let's try it and see how we go.  On this
thread on c.l.py "500 tracker orphans; we need more reviewers" started
by Terry Reedy it was quoted that there were 510 orphans as at Jun 19,
3:37 am.  We're getting there.

> 24 hours seems too soon for any kind of notification. Who would receive this
> notification?

I plucked this figure out of the air thinking that if an issue was going
to drop under the radar, this would be the most likely time.  I was
considering a worst case scenario where several core triage people are
at a big Python event, others are on holiday [ shame on you :) ], some
looking after the kids, yet more off sick etc.  Hum, perhaps 24 hours is
too soon, what about a week, opinions anybody?  Notifications would go
to the bugs mailing list and/or #python-dev.  But this is hypothetical
anyway if the message count of 1 query works.  Only one way to find out,
let's try it.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.