[Python-Dev] proto-pep: plugin proposal (for unittest)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 18:15:44 CEST 2010

On 2 Aug, 2010, at 16:24, R. David Murray wrote:

> (Ronald, the text version of your message was very difficult to sort
> through and read, because all of the quoting information was lost.
> Just thought you'd want to know.)

I'll stop using the mobile-me webmail client for lists, it seems to mess things up.

> What I hear Glyph saying is that we should support looking in *both*
> locations for configuration info on OSX, and I don't see a downside to
> that.  Most unix applications look in multiple places for configuration
> info.

A lot of tools seem to look both in a system location and a per user location (such as /etc/profile and ~/.profile).

OSX ads a 3th level to that, although I have never used that myself (technically there are 4 levels, but that isn't important unless you are Apple).

> Michael seems to be arguing for not using the standard OSX locations
> because the Finder can't edit them anyway.  Is that true?

The Finder can open OSX locations just fine, but you cannot see dot-files (or -directories) in the Finder.

I won't argue this anymore, at least not this week. I'll work around the issue in my private tree if that's what's needed.

Ronald