[Python-Dev] No response to posts

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 18:21:24 CEST 2010

On 02/08/2010 03:54, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2010/7/31 Éric Araujo<winston at netwok.org>:
>> Good call.
>>
>> Alternative idea: Have a new status “unread” to make searching easier
>> for bug people. Or a predefined custom search for nosy_count == 1.
>
> Please, let's stop messing with the tracker for everything. I think
> the current set up works reasonably well, and we should focus on the
> real problem: manpower

I disagree entirely with this comment.  Perhaps we should simply agree
to disagree, but I can't see how having issues that have been sitting
for years without any response at all ties in with "the current set up
works reasonably well".  The number was over 500 when Terry Reedy put
his orphan tracker request on c.l.py.  IMHO a reply along the lines of
"bugger off we're far too busy" would be better than nothing.  Failing
that the simple "please provide a code and unit test patch" seems to
work quite well.  Failing that "I'm going to close this because nobody
is interested" works extremely well in waking people up! :)  All of
these are better than complete silence.  I also believe that the latter
of my suggestions should be used when the OP has shown no interest in
moving the issue despite being asked to do so.

Just me tuppence worth.

Mark Lawrence.