[Python-Dev] PEP 376 proposed changes for basic plugins support

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Aug 3 01:07:02 CEST 2010

> What you might want to do is add new type fields to PEP 345,
> making it easier to identify and list packages that work as
> plugins for applications, e.g.
>
> Type: Plugin for MyCoolApp
>
> The MyCoolApp could then use the Type-field to identify all
> installed plugins, get their installation directories, etc.
> and work on from there.

Classifiers seem a good way to do that. They’re already defined in
accepted PEPs, extensible on demand, used by Web frameworks
components/applications/middlewares/things and other projects, and
queriable in PyPI.

We could use “Environment :: Plugins” and “Framework :: Something” or
define a new classifier (not all applications are frameworks, and
“plugins” seems a very strange value for “environment”).

It would be the first time that a classifier triggers specific
processing from distutils though, so we may prefer to define a new
Provides-Plugin field for consistency and explicitness.

Regards