[Python-Dev] Windows

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 4 13:37:57 CEST 2010

On 8/4/2010 3:49 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 02:08, Steve Holden wrote:
>> It's a little disappointing to discover that despite the relatively
>> large number of developers who have received MSDN licenses from
>> Microsoft, none if us have the time to make sure that the buildbots are
>> green for the 2.6.6 release.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can think of a way we can get some Windows skillz
>> into the group that could assist at ties like this. Some brainstorming
>> might find a way through.
>
> My own problem is just the amount of ramp-up time (as a proportion of
> my own available time) to get hold of a problem even when I see it.
> (Speaking here in the more general sense of fixing Windows-related
> Python bugs).
>
> As one who has benefitted from the MSDN largesse I am certainly
> conscious of
> the responsibility to contribute benefits back to the Python community.
> On the basis that I'm far more likely to watch a buildbot which I actually
> administer, I have recently nudged my sysadmins here to see if they can
> make good on their promise to find me a spare server to use as a buildbot.
>
> I have watched the buildbot pages occasionally, especially when I see
> Windows-related commits going in, but several times "red" buildbots
> have turned out to be -- apparently -- environmental / local issues
> unrelated to commits. Obviously I could/should have contacted the
> buildbot owner to at least inform him or her that something was amiss.
> But somehow at that point one's technical enthusiasm for fixing a
> problem diminishes when it's not clear that there *is* a problem.
> (Grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter... :) )
>
> While we'd certainly benefit from more Windows skills, we'd probably
> benefit more from people who have more *time* to look at Windows
> issues. OK; to propose something concrete: I'll write a blog post
> and advertise on python-win32 to ask for Windows people who perhaps
> might at least be interested in contributing time. I will also
> advertise (and maybe enhance) Brian Curtin's how-to doc on Windows
> Python core development... which I can't quite lay my hands on at
> the moment. Hopefully we can lower the perceived entry-bar for
> contribution at different levels.

Thanks, Tim. When I said "more Windows skillz" I should, of course, have
said "more people with time to apply their Windows skillz". I imagine if
we get some new blood in we can get them access to MSDN licenses should
they be needed.

regards
 Steve
DjangoCon US September 7-9, 2010    http://djangocon.us/