[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Aug 4 16:51:19 CEST 2010

On Aug 04, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>I think the issue is that many core developers don't have the reflex
>to check buildbot state after they commit some changes (or at least
>on a regular, say weekly, basis), and so gradually the buildbots have
>a tendency to turn from green to red, one after another.

I'd classify this as a failure of the tools, not of the developers.  These
post-commit verification steps should be proactive, and scream really loud (or
even prevent future commits) until everything is green again.  Buildbots
themselves can be unstable, so this may or may not be workable, and changing
any of this will take valuable volunteer time.  It's also unsexy work.

-Barry