[Python-Dev] Windows

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 17:00:12 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 09:48, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Aug 03, 2010, at 09:08 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
>
> >It's a little disappointing to discover that despite the relatively
> >large number of developers who have received MSDN licenses from
> >Microsoft, none if us have the time to make sure that the buildbots are
> >green for the 2.6.6 release.
>
> Should note that I did try to build Python using my MSDN license for
> Windows 7
> and Visual Studio 2010.  I only had an hour or so to attempt it, and did
> not
> succeed, though I think I got as far as trying to properly situate various
> dependent libraries (sqlite, ssl).
>
> If anybody's successfully navigated the twisty maze, would you be able to
> write something up on the wiki to describe the steps you've taken?
>
> -Barry

I can expand the dev setup guide I wrote for the PSF Sprints to include the
third-party stuff, then try to get that in wider circulation. I currently
gloss over it to get a first-time contributor up and running quickly (since
someone's first look into core dev is unlikely to be fixing sqlite).

I haven't tried the current codebase on VS2010 yet, but it's on my todo
list.