[Python-Dev] Windows

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Aug 4 17:49:28 CEST 2010

On 04/08/2010 16:38, Steve Holden wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 11:00 AM, Brian Curtin wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 09:48, Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org
>> <mailto:barry at python.org>>  wrote:
>>
>>      On Aug 03, 2010, at 09:08 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
>>
>>      >It's a little disappointing to discover that despite the relatively
>>      >large number of developers who have received MSDN licenses from
>>      >Microsoft, none if us have the time to make sure that the buildbots are
>>      >green for the 2.6.6 release.
>>
>>      Should note that I did try to build Python using my MSDN license for
>>      Windows 7
>>      and Visual Studio 2010.  I only had an hour or so to attempt it, and
>>      did not
>>      succeed, though I think I got as far as trying to properly situate
>>      various
>>      dependent libraries (sqlite, ssl).
>>
>>      If anybody's successfully navigated the twisty maze, would you be
>>      able to
>>      write something up on the wiki to describe the steps you've taken?
>>
>>      -Barry
>>

>> I can expand the dev setup guide I wrote for the PSF Sprints to include
>> the third-party stuff, then try to get that in wider circulation. I
>> currently gloss over it to get a first-time contributor up and running
>> quickly (since someone's first look into core dev is unlikely to be
>> fixing sqlite).
>>
>> I haven't tried the current codebase on VS2010 yet, but it's on my todo
>> list.
>>
> I think that could be incredibly useful. I've tried building Windows
> Pythons in the past and stalled because I didn't have enough familiarity
> with the VS environment.

Brian: could you remind us where that doc is, please? I've lost track of it.

In broad terms it's not too hard to get going once you've installed
VS[*]; I've
rebuild several different fresh Python checkouts several times today
while these
issues have been discussed, and generally it's a question of:

cd py3k (or whatever)
tools\buildbot\externals.bat
cd py3k\pcbuild
env
build -d
rt -d

and you're done and tested.

That said, I seem to be having build issues with ssl on 2.7 which I'll
try to look into. But the technique is fairly straightforward.

TJG

[*] And a small clutter of other tools for certain bits