[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Wed Aug 4 18:21:21 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> The hard part is to know *when* to look.  As you might have noticed, the
> Python test suite does not run in ten seconds, especially on some of the
> buildbots -- it can take 1-2 there to complete.  So if you look too soon,
> you won't see all the results, and usually the slow systems are the
> interesting ones.
>
> Now we could of course have a commit hook that counts down two hours and
> then sends an email to the committer "Now look at the buildbot!"...

Why not have buildbot slaves email the committer when their change
broke the build. I realize that if you break 25 slaves it would not be
pleasant to receive 25 emails, but I've had worse things happen. Or
buildbot slaves can report failures to a mailing list or IRC chat.

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org