[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Aug 4 19:05:34 CEST 2010

Am 04.08.2010 18:45, schrieb exarkun at twistedmatrix.com:
>>>How hard is it to look at a web page?
>>
>>The hard part is to know *when* to look.  As you might have noticed,
>>the
>>Python test suite does not run in ten seconds, especially on some of
>>the
>>buildbots -- it can take 1-2 there to complete.  So if you look too
>>soon,
>>you won't see all the results, and usually the slow systems are the
>>interesting ones.
>>
>>Now we could of course have a commit hook that counts down two hours
>>and
>>then sends an email to the committer "Now look at the buildbot!"...
>
> I don't think it's that hard to take a look at the end of the day (or
> before starting anything else the next morning).  All it really takes is
> a choice on the part of each developer to care whether or not their
> changes are correct.

That's true.  However, when most of the time you're looking at the buildbots
you have to check 10 different red ones, only to realize none of the failures
is related to any recent commit, this gets tiresome fast.

I know that the remedy is to get the buildbots stable, but hey, somebody has
to do that.  It's probably not you, and it's probably not me.

Georg