[Python-Dev] PEP 376 proposed changes for basic plugins support

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Aug 5 18:06:59 CEST 2010

Hello

Le 03/08/2010 13:09, Michael Foord a écrit :
> On 03/08/2010 09:28, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> P.J. Eby wrote:
>>> [the db is a cache, it does not replace the files]
>> [advantages of sqlite3 db]
> Sounds good as an "optional extra" (i.e. it should be safe to completely
> delete the cache file and still have everything work) to me. If the API
> for using the feature is worked out well first this could be done as a
> behind the scenes optimisation...

FYI, the current implementation in the distutils2-augmented pkgutil uses
a cache (a function call memo) for functions that e.g. iterate over
dist-info directories (and optionally egg-info directories too) or get a
Distribution object representing an installed project. Tools that modify
the state of the installation can call a function to clear this cache.

A sqlite db would certainly speed things up; it could replace the
existing caching in distutils2 or be left to other tools.

Regards