[Python-Dev] mingw support?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Aug 8 21:54:44 CEST 2010

On 8/7/2010 3:55 PM, linux at gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was wondering whether there would ever be support for python to be
> build by the mingw compiler suite. I found a few patches in the
> internet but there were disagreeing comments on whether they are
> functional or not.
>
> So I would like to ask the list whether there are any technical
> reasons that this is so.

The sociological problem is that currently not enough advocates of using
a free-as-in-thought compiler both can and will provide enough
free-as-in-beer volunteer time to deal with the sociological and
technical problems. That could change someday.

I suspect that the persons who first ported Python to MSDOS simply used
what they were used to using, perhaps in their paid job. And I am sure
that is still true of at least some of the people doing Windows support
today.

--
Terry Jan Reedy