[Python-Dev] Return code when there's a problem at shutdown

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Aug 9 01:56:55 CEST 2010

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:49:50 -0400
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> In the above example, I could say that Python did what it promised to do
> -- print something to the stdout stream, and that failure on flushing
> was outside its purview.
>
> I could also say that if one wants the flush to be considered part of
> the program operation, one should put it in the program explicitly
> instead of depending on implicit operations after the program ended.

Good point. It isn't very hard to call stdout.flush() yourself if you
are using stdout as a data stream, and want the user to be notified of
errors.

Similarly, if deallocating a file object produces an error during the
interpreter's lifetime, the error is printed out on stderr and then
ignored.

Regards

Antoine.