[Python-Dev] Summary of Python tracker Issues

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:28:18 CEST 2010

  Hi,
lately I've been working on the new summary of Python tracker issues.
This is the result.

On 10/08/2010 16.39, Python tracker wrote:
> ACTIVITY SUMMARY (2010-08-01 - 2010-08-07)

This is the period that is considered for the following stats.
By default it shows the activity of the last week.
(This was supposed to be the report for last week, but it's from Monday
to Sunday instead of from Saturday to Friday because I specified the
wrong dates.)

> Python tracker at http://bugs.python.org/
>
> To view or respond to any of the issues listed below, click on the issue.
> Do NOT respond to this message.
>
> Issues stats:
>    open    2640 (+35)
>    closed 18679 (+194)
>    total  21319 (+57)

The +35 means that there are 35 more issues opened since the last week.
This is not the number of issues that have been created during the last
week, but the number of new issues that have been created or reopened
that are still open. Also note that 'pending' and 'languishing' are
considered as 'open' too.
The +194 means that are 194 more issues closed since last week that are
still closed.
Both the open and closed issues are listed later.
The +57 means that overall the tracker has 57 more issues since last
week. This also mean that about 25 issues created this week are already
closed (i.e. 57 new - (35 still open - 3 older that got reopened) = 25
issues).

> Open issues with patches: 1112

This is the total number of open issues with the 'patch' keyword.

> Issues opened (35)
> ==================
>
> #8821: Range check on unicode repr
> http://bugs.python.org/issue8821  reopened by pitrou
> [...]

This is the list of *all* the issues created or reopened during the last
week *that are still open*.

> Recent issues with no replies (15)
> ==================================
>
> #9535: Pending signals are inherited by child processes
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9535
> [...]

This is the list of the open issues with only 1 message, sorted by
creation date.
The list is limited to max 15 issues but is not limited to the last
week. This means that issues older than a week are included here if less
than 15 issues with only 1 message have been created this week.

> Issues waiting for review (15)
> ==============================
>
> #1474680: pickling files works with protocol=2.
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1474680
> [...]

This is the list of issues with 'patch' or 'needs review' keywords or
'patch review' stage that have been active during the last week.
The list is limited to max 15 issues.

> Top issues most discussed (10)
> ==============================
>
> #9079: Make gettimeofday available in time module
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9079  42 msgs
> [...]

This is the list of issues with activity in the last week sorted by
number of message.
This list is limited to max 10 issues.

> Issues closed (154)
> ===================
>
> #1474680: pickling files works with protocol=2.
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1474680  closed by alexandre.vassalotti
> [...]

This is the list of *all* the issues closed in the last week *that are
still closed*.
Since this list might be quite long I put it at the end, to make it
easier to reach the other lists.

The previous report also had the average and median durations of open
issues.
While I was refactoring the function that calculated them, I realized
that these values are not so useful/clear so I decided to remove them.
These values could be added back if they are needed, but it might be
more interesting to know how long does it usually take for an issue to
be closed, rather than for how long the open issues are around.

For more information see
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue284.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

P.S.: Thanks to R. David Murray that helped me out with the testing and
to all the people who provided (and will provide) feedback.