[Python-Dev] Fixing #7175: a standard location for Python config files

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Aug 12 05:10:20 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> Considering the FHS or the XDG Base
> Directory specifications, there is a precedent in distinguishing user
> config (edited by the user through a text editor or settings graphical
> window), program data (state) and cache (files for speedups that can
> safely be deleted).

Right.  The wording in that PEP is ambiguous at best, but the
inclusion of the Python version number in the listed path suggests
that this is for automatically managed stat (like those trashy *.pth
files some tools worry about), not for something the human user is
going to manipulate directly.

That PEP is particularly concerned with package management per user (a
dodgy proposition at best), so everything there is about package
management tool support, not user-manipulated configuration data.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at gmail.com>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein