[Python-Dev] Fixing #7175: a standard location for Python config files

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 23:48:22 CEST 2010

2010/8/12 Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org>:
>> Choosing an arbitrary location we think is good on every system is fine
>> and non risky I think, as long as Python let the various distribution
>> change those paths though configuration.
>
> Don’t you have a bootstrapping problem? How do you know where to look at
> the sysconfig file that tells where to look at config files?

Personally, I'm not clear on what a separate syconfig.cfg file offers
over clearly separating the directory configuration settings and
continuing to have distributions patch sysconfig.py directly. The
bootstrapping problem (which would encourage classifying synconfig.cfg
as source code and placing it alongside syscongig.py) is a major part
of that point of view.

Cheers,
Nick.