[Python-Dev] Fixing #7175: a standard location for Python config files

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Aug 13 07:39:05 CEST 2010

Michael Foord writes:

 > How is ~/python not memorable or consistent? (And cross-platform
 > memorability and consistency is valuable too.)

But what does "~" mean on Windows?  Inside of Python you can have a
consistent definition, but that doesn't help people whose installer
gets mixed signals so Python itself is in the wrong place, or who are
using external tools (uninstaller, editor, application, etc) that work
on or with Python.

I'm not arguing for use of AppData, but at least it's easy to explain,
and easy to implement, for consistency.

 > Another issue is discoverability. Many users won't know about these
 > config files unless they *see* them.

OK, maybe AppData's out.

 > In fact for Windows the *correct* thing to do is probably to use
 > the registry and then provide a graphical tool for editing the
 > values. If you're arguing for consistency why not argue for this?

Sounds reasonable to me.  Except Python's standard GUI is probably not
up to Windows standards of beauty....