[Python-Dev] mingw support?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 13 10:57:01 CEST 2010

> The question is "who will support those folks?"  I don't see any
> reason why you or Martin should support MSYS/mingw if you don't want
> to, but please don't put down the folks who ask for it.  Just say "no,
> it's not worth it".  Or maybe, "if you want to do the work, I might
> contribute some reviews."  Or whatever.

The problem really is that when people ask for MingW support, they mean
all kinds of things, and they "can't agree" among themselves what that
is. Some want cross-compiling (i.e. compile using mingw on Linux). Some
want autoconf for mingw with msys. Some want autoconf for mingw with
cygwin. Some want to replace the build system entirely, and have the
new build system support mingw (and claim that you otherwise can't get
"good" mingw support).

It's not that I'm objecting mingw support per se, but have my issues
with each individual patch proposed so far. As for reviewing: people
proposing mingw patches somehow always arrive at very large patches.
Reviewing them is very difficult also.

Regards,
Martin