[Python-Dev] i18n

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 14 11:22:39 CEST 2010

> I'm starting a project that aims at first to internationalize the python
> interpreter, so it could be localized. I want to know if this could be
> considered for the main trunk of python.

It's not exactly clear what you are proposing, but most likely, the
answer is "no". If you plan to internationalize the keywords and the
names of the library functions, then this can never go into Python.

Translating the doc strings might be ok. However, instead of doing so,
I recommend that you join the project to translate the Python
documentation, at pootle.python.org. This will not only help children,
but any user of the language who isn't very good at the English
language.

Regards,
Martin