[Python-Dev] Fwd: i18n

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 26 08:31:50 CEST 2010

>    That is pretty good mojibake. One of the problems of providing
> localized error messages is that the messages may be messed up at
> different stages. The original text was
> A létező kapcsolatot a távoli állomás kényszerítetten bezárta.
>    It was printed in iso8859_2 (ISO standard for Eastern European)
> then those bytes were pasted in as if they were cp852 (MS-DOS Eastern
> European).

That's an old Python 2.x bug. The message was probably printed in a
terminal Window, yet Python did not recode it from what Windows provided
(and indeed, it couldn't, because it couldn't know what encoding the
exception string was in when it printed it).

I believe this is fixed in Python 3, which uses a Unicode string for the
text.

Regards,
Martin