[Python-Dev] Return from generators in Python 3.2

Yury Selivanov yselivanov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:48:59 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-26, at 12:20 PM, Scott Dial wrote:

> On 8/26/2010 11:00 AM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
>> If we decide to postpone this feature till Python 3.3, than we'll push it all back
>> The change is tiny, but it means really a lot.
>
> AFAICT, this change was the most controversial part of PEP 380.
>
>> PS I'm attaching a patch to the letter; it's far from ideal state, but contains the
>> GeneratorReturn exception, code to raise it and the corresponding unittests.
>
> I believe overloading StopIteration for this purpose was considered more
> acceptable than creating a new exception.

Whatever the Python community decides.  I was trying to make several points
regarding the problem, and proposed a solution which in my opinion is slightly
better than one described in the pep.

> BTW, attaching patches to
> emails on this list is generally the best way to have few look at your
> patch. :-p

Hm, my mailing client clearly indicates that the patch has been attached and sent.
In any case, here is a direct link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21052/generators_return.patch

-
Yury